Engineering Student Ambassador Program
Initiated in 2009, the ESA Program brings together an honorary group of students dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding of engineering, targeting stakeholders of primarily prospective students as well as the general public. This one-of-a-kind student enrichment program combines both undergraduate and postgraduate students in one platform, offering a fulfilling learning-by-serving experience that gears towards being future leaders.
The appointment period of each batch is a total of three semesters, though a developmental pathway is available for those that have displayed the most commitment, passion and capability to further take up a lifetime leadership role within the community. Such individuals are appointed as Head ESAs and play a key role in the shaping and strategizing of the future program.
The ESA program prides itself as one of great diversity, bringing together students from a range of backgrounds. Apart from neighbouring regions within Asia, the program continuously attracts students from regions such as Africa, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Russia, Spain and more, forming a truly multicultural community of passionate engineering students.
ESAs are largely involved to introduce and promote engineering through interacting with prospective students, parents, teachers, scholars and the general public in a variety of ways:
- Engaging in branding, outreaching and recruitment activities, such as Information Day, Engineering Exploration Day, talks and sharing to secondary school students
- Sharing personal stories about University life on the School of Engineering’s social media platforms
- Acting as emcees for a variety of face-to-face and online events
- Leading delegation visits for governmental bodies, corporate guests and other educational institutions
- Starring in School of Engineering's branding and outreaching videos
- Participating in international conferences
- And many more
A multitude of resources are provided to ESAs with an aim to nurture competent individuals into mature, confident and influential ambassadors to represent the School. Such include:
- Training workshops by renowned trainers to develop skills on communication and persuasion, storytelling, teamwork as well as discovering and celebrating unique personalities
- Events and talks to meet professionals from different industries
- Appointment letter and certificate of appreciation issued by the Dean of Engineering
- Opportunity to join the Head ESA community through demonstrating a high level of commitment and excellent performance throughout serving period
Head ESAs are selected in recognition of their outstanding contribution to the program with regards to performance, commitment and passion demonstrated throughout the serving period. Empowered to take up a leadership role within the community, Head ESAs play a vital role in the design, selection and implementation of the program for new batches of ambassadors.
Specific duties include deciding the interview format and questions, and interviewing candidates in the recruitment of new ESAs, planning and leading training camp activities, assessing and evaluating probationary ESAs, and offering coaching and guidance to new ambassadors, amongst other assignments.
Periodic training sessions on topics of facilitation, debriefing and feedback tactics are provided to equip Head ESAs with the necessary skills to become respectful and constructive leaders. Training topics are also initiated by Head ESAs for peer-to-peer teaching and learning, enabling them to continuously discuss, debate and reflect on their leadership capability.
As the backbone of the program, Head ESAs continue to be actively engaged in the development of the program long after graduation. This tightknit community is a second family, or a home away from home, for its members, and the honorary appointment of Head ESA is one that lasts a lifetime.